A Yarn Story specialises in hand-dyed yarns and luxury fibres from around the world for the hand knitting and crochet industry. Started in Nov 2014 the shop has grown a global presence driven by our passion for making, community and sustainable business practices. We are a multifaceted enterprise with both a retail and wholesale division as well as a sister yarn brand, Walcot Yarns. Run by a small, dynamic team with a ‘no challenge is too big’ attitude we work hard and have a lot of fun.
Retail Store Manager
We’re looking for a Store Manager with retail experience and a passion for crafting. Ideally you are an intermediate to advanced knitter who can also demonstrate some crochet skills. Beyond this comfort and familiarity with independent retail management and dynamics would be beneficial.
While knitting and crochet skills are important, this position requires exceptional customer service skills. A Yarn Story is a destination yarn shop and we pride ourselves on the high level of service that we offer to our customers. We’re also a social shop, with many customers participating in our regular Knit Nights and events (both in-person and virtually).
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual who can lead the sales staff to success while maintaining all of our brand standards. Our team is made up of passionate individuals who love making and sharing that with our customers.
As fun as it is to work in a yarn shop, the role of the Store Manager is also a physical one. We’re often up and down stairs to our stockroom in the basement, climbing ladders or stools to restock shelves, or carrying boxes of yarn or notions following deliveries of products.
Dog lovers are also encouraged to apply! Peaches is our friendly shop dog: an enthusiastic Irish Setter who loves people and being part of the shop. While Peaches isn’t necessarily in the shop all day or every day, if you’re allergic or ‘not a dog person’ this sadly might not be the right job for you.
Finally, flexibility and a positive attitude will serve you well in this job! Changes happen in the shop all the time and so may your duties. There’s always lots to do from restocking shelves, taking inventory for re-orders or putting together packages for orders from our busy online shop.
- Previous retail experience at Supervisor level or above is essential
- A confident, highly motivated and consistently organised manager with natural warmth in their approach to both customers and team and ability to have fun
- Keen passion for crafting and enthusiasm for the products with a willingness to learn
- Ability to prioritise, delegate and multi-task whilst maintaining an outstanding level of customer service
- Strong Computer skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Natural aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to carry up to 23kg for short distances unassisted (including up or down stairs)
- Detail oriented
- Create and deliver a first-class shopping experience by finding ways to delight and inspire customers
- Supporting the team in building, developing and maintaining customer acquisition, ensuring repeat visits and customer loyalty
- Assist customers with their retail purchases
- Assisting with organisation and running of in-store marketing, social media and events to drive brand recognition and sales
- Maintain impeccable visual merchandising standards including window displays
- Pattern support / assistance
- Occasional Social media support
- Stock Management
- Shipping online orders
- Running sales reports
- Data analysis
- Ensure store has adequate staff cover, producing and maintaining schedules and time-sheets
The Store Manager role is a full time position of approximately 32 hours per week. You must be able to work weekdays and weekends on a rotating basis.
This role is commensurate with experience and A Yarn Story is a Living Wage Employer.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including:
- Current CV
- Cover letter stating their interest
- Social media names/identities
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, August 11 and all applications should be sent to email@example.com.